Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

      How do people know what they want to be when they grow up? I know in the 19 years of my life I have changed my mind multiple times. My future profession ranged from crime scene investigator, FBI agent, to teacher. I can remember the question, "What do you want to be when you grow up," came up a lot in elementary school. Obviously no kid actually knew what they would be doing in 20 years, but we always picked what we thought the coolest job was, like President or a movie star. I never thought I would actually have to answer that question honestly. But, guess what I am now in college studying to be a teacher, and still wondering how I knew to choose this profession and hoping that it is my honest answer.
        Ever since I was little the job that interested me the most was a teacher. My favorite game to play growing up was school, and of course I was always the teacher. You would think that after a long day of being at school I would be tired of it, and never want to come home and pretend to play even more school. But, you have to remember school back then consisted of finger painting, snacks, and dress up, who could get tired of that? I absolutely loved all my elementary school teachers, you could say I was for sure "teachers pet". However, I will never forget in the first grade when I had to move my clip down. This was the only time I got in trouble, and I thought I was going to be traumatized for life. I remember the story like it was yesterday, I wont bore you by telling it, but let me just say it was NOT my fault at all!! hah School was amazing, and if I had to pick my favorite year it would for sure be second grade. 
       A lot of things happened in the second grade. I had my favorite teacher, lost all my teeth, and developed my fear of public speaking. The last one definitely does not make my list of top 10 best experiences, but it sure makes for a good story. It all started when the classroom was filled with all my classmates and their parents. We were doing a play or reciting poems I cant really remember, the day is kind of a fog filled with lots of tears. Anyways, it was my turn to get up and talk in front of everyone, and I started balling!! It was so embarrassing, and to this day I can't tell you what made it happen. All I know is it STILL happens, and like I said before this issue of mine is going to be a post later because I have some funny stories.. 
       So, even though my biggest fear formed during the second grade, it is still my absolute favorite year which is why I want it to be the grade that I teach! Lucky for them they are still young enough that I won't pass down my horrible writing skills; that will be left for the lucky third grade teacher.... Anyways I am kind of getting off topic, but I guess I just chose to be a teacher because it felt right. As I mentioned before no one really knows all the answers, but I think you just have to go with your gut sometimes. Life is crazy, and no one can predict where they will be years from now. If you just follow your heart you will always end up in the right place!
      Maybe it will take some little girl in my second grade class to freak out during her presentation to teach me to overcome my fears. It is amazing what we can all teach each other, no matter what age you are. To me that is what is so rewarding about being a teacher. The students teach the teacher just as much as the teacher teaches them. I can not wait until the day that I can help influence and shape little kids life's.  I will have great stories, memories, and students just like me that I can ask, "What do you want to be when you grow up?"
    

1 comment:

  1. My favorite post yet! You are going to be a great teacher! Luv, Mommy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...